Saturday, February 14, 2009

Maple Syrup Mousse



Below is the recipe as it was originally written and after that I wrote how I made it. It's not a quick recipe to make, but uses basic methods and ingredients.

Serves 6-8

1 envelope plus 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 C cold water
1 C maple syrup
4 egg yolks
1/2 C brown sugar
4 egg whites
2 C chilled heavy cream

Sprinkle the gelatin into the 1/2 cup of cold water and let soften for about 5 minutes, then set the cup in a shallow pan of simmering water, and stir until the gelatin has dissolved and is clear. Combine with the maple syrup. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with a whisk or rotary or electric beater for 2 to 3 minutes until thick and lemon yellow. Beat into the yolks the maple syrup mixture and pour it into a small saucepan. cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spoon heavily. Do not let it boil or the eggs will curdle. Remove from the heat, stir in the brown sugar and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until they form unwavering peaks on the beater. In another bowl, whip the chilled cream until it holds its shape softly. with a rubber spatula, fold the cream gently but thoroughly into the maple syrup mixture, then fold in the egg whites, folding until streaks of white do not show. Rinse a 1 1/2 quart mold, preferably a Charlotte mold, in cold water. Shake out the excess water and pour in the mousse mixture. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or until firm.

To unmold, run a knife around the inside edge of the mold, dip the bottom briefly in hot water and wipe it dry. Place a chilled platter on top of the mold, invert and rap it on the table. Chill until ready to serve.

That is how they say to make it. I did not use a mold. I just spooned the mixture into 8 ramekins and chilled. Before serving I put a dollop of whipped cream on top. I then sprinkled finely crushed walnuts on the whipped cream.

I would think that using a mold is a dicey proposition since you have no idea if it will unmold itself nicely. Plus, I think that the way we live today, making individual bowls is easier to make and easier to store any unused mousse.

The mousse is delicious. I think it would make a great autumn or winter dessert after serving ham with sweet potatoes.

Why I decided on a maple syrup recipe for today is because I have been on a maple syrup quest of sorts. One of the blogs that I read is Dogs and Jen. She recently tapped her maple trees and made her her syrup. R and I will be trying this next spring. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, read Jen's blog and see that it is not that hard to do.

No comments: