Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Aunt Rosie's Soda Cracker Pie

I first sampled this pie at a family gathering at my Aunt Rosie and Uncle Carl's house. I'm not exactly sure how old I was when I asked for the recipe but I must have been old enough to cook.

3 beaten egg whites
dash of salt
1 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 C of crushed Club crackers (nickel size or smaller)
1 C pecans or walnuts (using pecans will make the pie taste like pecan pie)

Beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Add crushed crackers, breaking any that are larger than a nickel. Make sure crackers are fully coated. I let the mixture sit for 5 minutes so that crackers could soften. Fold in pecans. Pour into glass pie dish that has been coated with spray cooking oil. The photo below shows what the mixture should look like before it is baked.Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown. Do not over cook. Let the pie thoroughly cool before cutting. This pie needs to set up and it does this as it cools.

This is what the pie should look like after it bakes for 25 minutes.
It has been 30 years since I lasted baked this pie and the baking instructions I wrote down were a little vague. Also 30 years ago, Club crackers were packaged differently. If I remember right, one cracker was scored and made 4 single Club crackers. Today all crackers are singles and each box contains 4 individual packages. Using trial and error/guestimation I have deduced that 1 package is equal to the 20 crackers that my recipe card stated, roughly 2 cups.

Enjoy.

No comments: