Friday, February 20, 2009

Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup

Several years ago my niece Blaire and I attended the opera in Detroit at the Detroit Opera House. Afterward we drove to Greektown to dine at The Pegasus.
I cannot remember what our entrees were but we both had lemon rice soup and absolutely loved it. The next time I am in Greektown for dinner I will just stick with lemon rice soup and chocolate mousse from the Greek bakery on the corner. It is very important that a trip to Greektown does not go without chocolate mousse.

Dining at a Greek restaurant has taught me that I want to stay away from flaming cheese. Nothing good can come from flaming cheese and hairspray. Not to mention....at my age I have enough self induced hot flashes that I do not need a waiter flinging flames around my face and yelling "Oopa!!!!" in my ear.On to the recipe. I surfed the Internet for a lemon rice soup recipe but R insisted that it had to have some sort of MEAT in it. So I combined several recipes and came up with my own.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts fully cooked and pulled apart (not cut)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 carton of chicken broth
1/2 C lemon juice
2 t dill weed
white pepper to taste (optional)
dash of salt
3 eggs
3 C of cooked Basmati rice

Over medium heat combine broth and soup. In a separate bowl beat the 3 eggs with a fork. Add 1 cup of broth/soup mixture to the beaten eggs and mix together. Add egg mixture into the broth soup mixture stirring so eggs do not clump up. You will see little streaks of cooked egg in the broth/soup. Add the small pieces of chicken, lemon, salt, dill weed, and cooked rice. Stir and add white pepper to taste (optional).

Tips...You may add additional lemon juice if you prefer a stronger lemon taste. Only use white pepper so that you do not discolor the soup. I added a chicken bouillon cube to the water I cooked the rice in and I only use Basmati rice.

No comments: