Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rolo Pretzel Turtles

Today I tried a recipe that I saw in a magazine and it seemed simple enough, with little that could possibly go wrong...just my kind of recipe.

Bag of Rolos
Bag of small salted pretzels
Pecan halves (I ran out of pecans so I made some with walnut halves, cashews, and peanuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


Place tin foil on a cookie sheet (I tried parchment paper and the tin foil worked better). Lay out pretzels then place an unwrapped Rolo on top. Put cookie tray in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Do not let the Rolos get too soft.

Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place the nuts on top. I found that I barely had to squish (technical term) them because the weight of the nut made it sink into the chocolate and caramel.

I also made some with peanuts placed on the pretzels first, then a Rolo. After I removed them from the oven, I added 2 or 3 more peanuts to the top.
The recipe called for you to let them cool for 1 hour before storing but I found they were still kind of soft after 1 hour. I remedied this by putting them in the fridge for 5 minutes. This seemed to do the trick and I was then able to place them in a sealed container without them sticking to one another.

Very tasty. Next time though, I would sprinkle with coarse sea salt while the Rolos were still soft but tasty none the least. I preferred the salted pecans the best.

For a twist...the next time I am going to cut a date in half (lengthwise), then place a Rolo on top. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Then top with a pecan. If I decide to get out of my pajamas tomorrow...I'll go to the store and get some more pecans and then try this recipe.

No comments: