Monday, October 19, 2009

Bread Bowls for Cheesy Veggie Soup

Today I experimented and made a few bread bowls to use with the leftover cheesy veggie soup with diced ham I made yesterday. I got the idea for bread bowls from my daughter in law. She said that last year for the Chili Bowl race on PPV that they made bread bowls for their chili. I had an 'ah ha' moment.

When my sister and I went to the Taste of Home cooking school they were using Rhodes frozen bread and buns for several of their recipes. So I thought, why not use the frozen loaf bread and just cut in half before baking.

Here is how I made my bread bowls.

Makes 4 bread bowls

I thawed 2 loaves of Rhodes frozen white bread by placing them on a slightly oiled cookie sheet. I was able to cut each loaf in half once they were slightly thawed. Once the 4 pieces were completely thawed I used my hands to make the dough round. Then I placed 2 pieces on an oiled cookie sheet allowing enough room for the dough to rise. Place the cookie sheets in a warm area for 4 hours to completely rise. After 4 hours bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before next step.To carve out the bowl I used a serrated knife to cut out the top much like how you do when carving a pumpkin for Halloween. Make sure you use a serrated knife as a regular knife doesn't cut through the crust as nicely as the serrated knife. This is what it looks like if you use a regular knife and not a serrated knife.Once the top is cut off pull out some of the bread to make a hollow area in the bread forming a bowl. Do not throw away the top crust and bread pieces, I used them in the soup instead of crackers.

Fill bread bowl with chili, stew, or thick soup. Enjoy.

No comments: